Breaking News
  • April 15Spring Swing Saturday, April 20, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • April 15School Starts @8:30 No Collaboration, This Monday and Next.
  • April 15CAASPP testing starts on April 15th
  • December 4More stories on Instagram @NUHSmedia
The Official Student Media Site of Nevada Union High School

Goldpan

Goldpan

Goldpan

The Holy Grail of Movies

Why Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of the greatest movies
The Holy Grail of Movies

“Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?”, A classic line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The first time I had watched this movie I was about 11 years old, so only 3 years ago, but when I saw this movie I immediately fell in love with it. It was hilarious and the story building is amazing, and is about knights which a 11 year old me and also a today me loved and loves. This movie is to this day my favorite movie, and will always be, no other movie will ever be able to surpass my love for this movie. 

First of all the humor is off the charts. In the opening credits to the movie there are already jokes happening, before the movie has even started. For example, in the opening credits as we were watching them the words become more distorted and messed up and eventually turn into completely random words, The credits then stop to display a message saying “We apologise for the fault in subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.” The credits then continue however the words are still distorted so the credits stop again to display another message saying “We apologise again for the fault in subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked, have been sacked.” Also the credits will randomly have text that has nothing to do with the text like “A moose once bit my sister” and goes on to explain an elaborate story. And it also seems that every action comes along with a joke or humor, which is almost the entire movie, it’s just nothing but jokes, and I love that! I have never seen another movie like it, although I haven’t seen that many movies.Another example of this is when the movie opens past the credit and king Arthur is on his “horse” riding around, the viewer can quickly realize that Arthur is in fact not on a horse, he’s just pretending to ride on one while his servant is clanking coconuts together to give the impression of a horse trotting. I could give examples all day but I’ll only limit myself to a few. Another example that I love is when king Arthur and Sir Bedivere are traveling through a forest and come across these knights that are called the knights who say Ni. The knights who say Ni have this word that they like to say, which you can probably guess is Ni, and when they say this word it inflicts pain to all that hears them. I love this scene because it’s so random, they find these knights in the woods who say Ni to hurt people and won’t let you pass them until you get them a shrubbery. An example that I also love comes later in the movie, when King Arthur and his knights are traveling but come across a monster that they need to slay in order to adventure into this cave. This monster is fearsome and has already claimed the lives of a lot of knights, but they then go to the cave only to realize that it’s a rabbit, to beat it they throw something called a holy hand grenade, which they do and venture into the cave. These were only a few examples that come to mind when I’m thinking of this movie, so I’ll move onto something else I love about this movie.

Another thing I absolutely love about this movie is the environment building. Throughout the entire movie Arthur is going on an adventure throughout England finding people worthy of looking for the Holy Grail along with Arthur. And when he does find all of the companions he needs he wastes no time searching for the Holy Grail, which leads them to all sorts of places. I also love how they are also never in one place for that long, they’re always bouncing about England. The places that they adventure to are also so entertaining, there is a story associated with every place that they go to. And another thing I find interesting is the fact that at random points in the movie the movie will go from live action to animation, and drawings.

Another amazing thing about this movie is the fact that it is actually quite accurate to the king Arthur myth. To name some things that were accurate were the settings, places that they go, the characters, and not to mention the fact that they use real castles when filming castle scenes. Also during a wedding scene towards the middle of the movie there are band members playing music, with instruments that actually match that of the time that this movie is set in. And at some points in the movie god will appear to king Arthur and his knights as cardboard cutouts in the sky, not only is this a fun and creative thing but it shows how that in medieval times knights and kings were very religious and claim god had spoken to them, just building on the fact on how accurate this movie was to the time period. Another thing I find cool is actually not the fact that it was set in medieval times, it was the fact that it wasn’t! Throughout the entire movie the police are chasing the knights and Arthur because a knight murdered somebody trying to film a documentary, and they associated it with Arthur and his knights. This also makes things make more sense when we take into account that at one point they had a grenade, which wasn’t made until years later. And All of this just goes to show how great of a movie that this was, and a lot of other people would agree with me seeing as it has a 96% on the tomatometer and a 95% on the audience score, just showing how great of a movie that it is.I recommend it to anyone who hasn’t yet watched it.

View Comments (1)