Breaking News
  • April 15Spring Swing Saturday, April 20, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • April 15School Starts @8:30 No Collaboration, This Monday and Next.
  • April 15CAASPP testing starts on April 15th
  • December 4More stories on Instagram @NUHSmedia
The Official Student Media Site of Nevada Union High School

Goldpan

Goldpan

Goldpan

Miners Beat Lincoln Zebras 61-50 in Homecoming Game

On Friday night, the Boys Varsity basketball team played their Homecoming game against the Lincoln Fighting Zebras and won 61-50.

Going into the game, Nevada Union’s record was 13-10 this season, and 5th in the Foothill Valley League. Lincoln entered the game 15-8, and the 3rd seed in the league. The Miners came in hungry for a win, after losing five of their last six.

Miners players walk onto the court after a timeout.

Nevada Union came in scorching, and topped Lincoln 16-6 at the end of the first. Lincoln started to pick up momentum in the second quarter, but still not enough to keep up with the Miners. They were outscored 18-13 in the second quarter, and the teams entered their locker rooms with the Miners leading 34-19.

Jonah Beck (11) scored free throws down the stretch for the Miners.

Coming out of halftime, scoring evened out a bit, and both teams ended with 13 points in the third quarter. Heading into the fourth, the Miners were holding a strong lead, up 47-32. The fourth quarter is when Lincoln gained a second wind. Led by a few timely three pointers, Lincoln outscored Nevada Union 19-14 in the quarter. Although, this wasn’t enough, as free throws down the stretch from point guard Jonah Beck (11) sealed the win for the Miners. The final score was 61-50, with Nevada Union coming out on top.

Homecoming court nominees and winners pose for a picture in front of the crowd.

The night also consisted of Homecoming Court celebrations at halftime, where nominated Princes and Princesses from each grade discovered who would receive the award of King and Queen. Robbie Gruver and Elle Piland were awarded Freshman Prince and Princess, Tule Edwards and Eleni Keriotis were nominated for Sophomores, and Ari Funk and Tova Rothert represented the Juniors. Nominations for the Seniors included Roxy Dotson and Cole McCracken, Kyla Chambers and Brenden Pinney, and Maddie Chapman and Julian Witt, who eventually received the honor of Queen and King.

With their win, Nevada Union now moves to 14-10 this season, with four games remaining. They will now travel to West Park High School to play the Panthers on January 31st.