Breaking News
  • April 15Spring Swing Saturday, April 20, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • April 15School Starts @8:30 No Collaboration, This Monday and Next.
  • April 15CAASPP testing starts on April 15th
  • December 4More stories on Instagram @NUHSmedia
The Official Student Media Site of Nevada Union High School

Goldpan

Goldpan

Goldpan

Miners Beat Oakmont 3-2 on Senior Night

On the night of April 23, the Varsity Volleyball team played their last home game of the season against the Oakmont Vikings. It came down to the final point, where the Miners fought together to win 3-2.

NU started the game dominant, getting a quick 10-4 lead. Slowly Oakmont started to catch up, and the game became tied at 16. From then on the teams were just exchanging points, going back and forth. The Miners eventually got up 24-23, then tied at 24, then up 25-24, then tied at 25. At this point the whole gym was waiting anxiously to see who would get the final two points. In the end Oakmont made a couple timely serves to win the set 27-25.

The second set started even again, with both teams exchanging points evenly and having many ties. This was how the whole second set went, and nobody picked up

momentum until the teams were tied at 19. Oakmont got a small lead, but then the Miners took it back and it was once again tied at 22. Oakmont scored twice more and were up 24-22. After a strong effort and one more point for the Miners, Oakmont prevailed and took the second set 25-22. The score was now Oakmont 2, Miners 0.

Seniors Nate Pinneo and Jake Haut play defense during the game.

Going into the third set the Miners had their backs against the wall, and they played like it. They immediately came out hot to take a 5-2 lead. After some back and forth, the Miners kept a steady 2 point lead that continued throughout the whole set. The Vikings couldn’t bring themselves to get back a lead in this one, and the Miners won the set 25-22. Oakmont 2, Miners 1.

Into the fourth set there was more back and forth, followed by a long run that put the Miners up 15-10. They kept this five point lead for the rest of the match, and won the set 25-20.

Then came the fifth set. Miners 2, Oakmont 2. The tiebreaker. Game to 15. The Miners took a quick lead and went up 8-5. Even though both teams were fighting with all their might, NU held that lead for most of the set. It got down to the final point, and the Miners were up 14-11. The home crowd was going crazy. Bodey Eelkema (12) went back to serve, and Oakmont just couldn’t return it. The Miners won the set 15-11, and they came back to win the game 3-2.

Varsity captain Carter Figuly (12) stands on the court during the game.

The night also included Senior Night Celebrations, where graduating Seniors on the team were honored. The Seniors met with their families under a balloon arch, and had a few sentences read about their time playing for Nevada Union and their future plans. Seniors this year included Nate Pinneo, Bodey Eelkema, Carter Figuly, Jake Haut, and Logan Auld.

Currently the Miners’ season record is 17-11 overall, and 7-3 in the Foothill Valley League. They are currently the 2nd seed in their League. Next Thursday they will head into the playoffs as the 7th seed, where they will play 10th seed Rio Americano.