Breaking News
  • May 16Scan QR Codes Around NU to Buy Yearbook
  • December 4More stories on Instagram @NUHSmedia
The Official Student Media Site of Nevada Union High School

Goldpan

Goldpan

Goldpan

The Spring Sports Season Comes To An End

Season Summary, Photo Gallery

With school coming to an end, the weather getting warmer, and everyone getting ready for summer, the end of the spring sports season is also here. Here’s everything that happened with our sports teams this season…

Starting off, Men’s Volleyball. Varsity’s record was 17-12 during the regular season, while going 7-3 in league games. They made it into the playoffs and got moved up to division 2, but unfortunately lost in the first round 3-2 to the River Valley Falcons. Some of the stat leaders were Bodey Eelkema (12), who had a .305 hitting percentage and 32 total blocks, Nathan Pinneo (12), who averaged 1.9 digs per set, and Jake Haut (12), who had 20 aces on serves. The JV team went 10-0 in league games, which is their 9th undefeated league season in a row.

Varsity Baseball went 8-18 in all games and 3-12 in league games. Some of their stat leaders were Brenden Pinney (12) who had a .402 batting average and 33 hits and Jack Bryan (11), who was the leader in runs with 21 and stolen bases with 15. JV Baseball went 2-11-1 in regular season games, and Freshman Baseball also went 2-11.

Varsity Softball went 4-19 in regular season games, and went 2-9 in league. Alicia Pettengill (12) had a .348 batting percentage and 24 hits which led her team. Aryah Berkowitz (11) was the leader for runs with 17 and on base percentage with .467. JV Softball went 2-8 in league games.

Varsity player Colby Schnitzius (9) guards the goal during a game.

Boys Lacrosse went 9-6 for the season, and 8-5 in league, which booked them the 3rd seed in the Foothill Valley League. “The season went really well,” said varsity player Colby Schnitzius (9). “We finished 9-6. It was really fun being around the guys and it was just a good season overall.”

Track and Field had a successful season, with 10 students qualifying for the section finals and 2 qualifying for masters. Lavell Cross (12), Chloe Metz-Thomson (12), Josh Griffin (11), Rowan Henry (10), Leah Krason (9), Koen Cayabyab (12), Louis Farone (10), Mackenzie Rist (11), Ahna Taliaferro-Watson (11), and Caitlyn Cochran (11) all qualified for the section finals in various events while Chloe Metz-Thomson (12) and Sara Sullivan (12) both qualified for masters in the pole vault event.

Logan Bill (9) plays for Varsity Golf.

Men’s Varsity Golf also had a victorious season, going 5-5. They entered the playoffs and tied Placer for 9th place out of 15 teams. Congratulations to Hunter Bill (12), Logan Bill (9), Trevor Buti (12), Lucas Frisella (10), Ari Funk (11), and Zanyon Glosser (9). “Golf season was really solid,” said Varsity player Logan Bill (9). “League was really aggressive and really equal this year, but we were still able to beat some of our rivals and beat most of our league teams in the final divisional.” JV Golf went 5-4 this season.

Finally, Men’s Varsity Tennis went 5-5 this season in league, and just missed qualifying for sectionals. Coach Dave Graham described the season as a rebuilding year, and expects NU to have a strong presence next season. Congratulations to Seniors Declan Quinn and Aidan Finegold!

“The sports season overall went really really well,” said Athletics Director Daniel Crossen. “We offer a lot of programs, [a] lot of opportunities for kids, so all sorts of stuff going on all spring from Track and Field to Lacrosse to Baseball, Softball, Boys Volleyball, Swimming, Boys Golf, Boys Tennis, there’s a ton of stuff all over the place. We had a lot of success, some programs had more success than others, overall it was a lot of fun all season long.”