Breaking News
  • April 15Spring Swing Saturday, April 20, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • April 15School Starts @8:30 No Collaboration, This Monday and Next.
  • April 15CAASPP testing starts on April 15th
  • December 4More stories on Instagram @NUHSmedia
The Official Student Media Site of Nevada Union High School

Goldpan

Goldpan

Goldpan

How the CAASPP Testing Affects You

This week is the week of CAASPP and SBAC testing, with SBAC tests from Monday to Friday and CAASPP tests for juniors on Wednesday. Here’s all you need to know about how this can affect you.

The schedule for Wednesday will be a little different from usual. From 8:30 to 11:00 only Juniors will have to be in school, as they will be taking the CAASPP test. From there, school will start for everybody at 11:10, with 48-minute periods to compensate for the late start. Grades 9 and 10 will have practice math SBAC tests (Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium) all week, and literacy SBAC tests the week after. Seniors will only have testing to do if they missed the test in their junior year. 

For anyone who takes the bus on Wednesday, regardless of age, the bus will run at normal times, so some students who aren’t juniors might still have to come to school at 8:30 if the bus is their only form of transportation. Students who aren’t juniors will be directed to “four areas open to them: the Ali Gym, West Gym, the theater, and the library. There will be activities in both gyms and a movie in the theater, and breakfast will be provided for everybody,” according to Tammy Shurte, assistant principal secretary.

Taking the test seriously is highly recommended as it can help you get scholarships, improve your transcript, get the Seal of Biliteracy, and more. Having a high score will improve your chances of getting into competitive colleges and go towards getting the Golden State Seal Merit Diploma, which colleges look for on transcripts and resumes. Taking the SBAC seriously is recommended as well as it helps you practice for when you become a junior and have to take the actual CAASPP test.