Breaking News
  • April 15Spring Swing Saturday, April 20, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • April 15School Starts @8:30 No Collaboration, This Monday and Next.
  • April 15CAASPP testing starts on April 15th
  • December 4More stories on Instagram @NUHSmedia
The Official Student Media Site of Nevada Union High School

Goldpan

Goldpan

Goldpan

New Crosswalk on Ridge Rd.

Keri Kemble
Construction workers install the new crosswalk on Ridge road, on April 8th

On April 8th there was a new crosswalk installed outside of Nevada Union High School, on Ridge Rd. to improve the safety of staff and students, according to site and district admin. 

The new crosswalk was installed because the old safety devices (lights in the road) were beyond their serviceable life span, according to Jordan Kohler, Director of District Facilities and Construction.

“We have pushed them for years,” said Principal Kelly Rhoden, “to update or enhance this crosswalk for safety purposes.”

While it directly benefits the school, “The crosswalk was funded and installed by the City of Grass Valley,” said Kohler. “The District and site had very little input.” 

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires the new crosswalk to be much flatter, Kohler explained. “These requirements have changed significantly,” said Kohler, “since the original crosswalk was installed 25+ years ago.”

“Over the years this crosswalk has been a concern,” said Mrs. Rhoden, “considering the number of students, staff, and families that cross here before or after school or during events.”

The crosswalk has been installed but it still has yet to be painted, and still needs the lights put in.