Breaking News
  • April 15Spring Swing Saturday, April 20, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • April 15School Starts @8:30 No Collaboration, This Monday and Next.
  • April 15CAASPP testing starts on April 15th
  • December 4More stories on Instagram @NUHSmedia
The Official Student Media Site of Nevada Union High School

Goldpan

Goldpan

Goldpan

Donut Fear Marty is Here

“My world has been a scream. I mean, at 15 years old, growing up in San Francisco…We’d speak to the tourists girls in Italian. They thought they were in Venice.”

Who is able to talk to anyone and bring a smile to their face? Marty Lombardi. Marty is more than just the man who saves a boring day with donuts, more than just the guy who volunteers at school, more than just someone who can get you a mentor for senior projects.

Marty grew up in San Francisco, in North Beach, which is around Fisherman’s Wharf. Both of his parents were immigrants. His father was born in Italy, while his mother was born on the big Island of Hawaii, after her family immigrated from Spain to work on the sugar cane fields. He went to high school in San Francisco, at an all boys Catholic High School. Then he went on to college at St. Mary’s College. Later he went to graduate school in New Jersey at Rutgers University where he studied banking and finance.

“But I never knew what I wanted to do,” said Marty. “I found what was the best thing, the most fun thing, (is) weaving myself in the fabric of the community and caring for people’s needs.”

10 years ago Marty moved from Mendocino County with his family and wove himself into the fabric of our school, and became a sort of mentor and friend to all.

“You know, students… always ask, ‘What do you do here?’ ” Marty said. “I think people overthink [it] — what we all need…encouragement, kindness, knowing somebody’s there to support you.” 

Marty shows his support for everyone at NU time and time again, whether it be handing out donuts, volunteering for events, or even just lending a kind word of encouragement. Marty buys the donuts he brings, with his own money, at the Daily Donuts Shop in Grass Valley, who he has a long standing relationship with.

Marty is a strong believer in interaction and students making connections, and does everything he can to help people make connections.

“I’m always encouraging students to take themselves out of their comfort zone and start engaging (with) adults,” said Marty. “In terms of, hey, how are you, how was your day, how was your weekend? That’s what the world’s like. That’s what the world’s like, it’s not one way.” 

According to Marty, we’re all wizards because we have the ability to bring a smile to someone’s face, and make a difference in someone’s life with kindness.

So who can talk to anyone and make them smile? Marty Lombardi.

View Comments (1)